Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Change we can believe in?

First, let me introduce my self, as it's my first time blogging. My name is Jason Lifton and I am the Vice President for Community Affairs of this year's student Association.

Anyway...After weeks of negative Hatchet Articles bashing the SA, is it possible that there is change in the air? Its clear that President Vishal Aswani has been the target of much criticism, but looking at the past really doesn't accomplish much if you ask me. I am not saying to forget the first semester of this year, but I AM saying that we go into the spring with an open mind.

Vishal has promised change and progress for the upcoming semester, and if he does what he says he will I'm optimistic. I hope that my optimism will stick! Vishal has promised a revised plan for next semester that will be rolled out at some point in the next month or so. I'll be sure to keep you updated on that.

In other news: WE GOT THE FLOAT IN THE PARADE! Yes, for those of you who didn't hear, GW will have a float in the inaugural parade for the first time in like 60 years, thats exciting. HUGE props to Charlie Burgoyne who helped make this happen! I have seen the design picture, and I'm not sure that I understand it but I assume thats because its lost in the CAD translation. It also seems that I'm not the only one who's lost. The Washington Post ran a story this morning about it that made me laugh at bit. Check it out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor poor logic on your part by dismissing the past and saying it is irrelevant in evaluating someone's success and progress. By your logic, resumes and work experience are irrelevant for employees when they look who to hire. By your train of thought, the only relevant thing to be considered is if that prospective employee can tell the prospective employer that they are going to be good at their position.

I for one would rather see a resume and work experience when hiring an employee. Similarly, I would not be so quick to dismiss Vishal's Nixon-esque paranoia and utter failure in achieving tangible goals this past semester.

To put it simply, the student body elected a terrible and incompetent leader.

Jason Lifton said...

I don't disagree with you....

Let me clarify: I am saying that I think that despite a failed first semester, there's a shot of a successful second semester. I am not going to say that I am sure we will have a total turn around but I AM looking forward to seeing what happens. Vishal was confronted and now is aware of the issues that we have, the ball is in his court now to change.

Anonymous said...

While i think there is definitely room for improvement in the second semester, in terms of the float i have seen up close and it really is way cooler than everyone thinks!