Monday, June 9, 2008

What's Happening At Mount Vernon?

Title graphic that says, What's Happening @ Mount Vernon This summer, the Vern is happening as Foggy Bottom gets increasingly foggier in this blistering heat and GW students (and GW interns) are jumping on the shuttle and heading to the Vern for the wonderful in-ground pool.

And the residents of the Foxhill district have the same idea. GW sells season passes to residents of the area which provides an interesting dynamic. 50% GW, 20% rich Foxhill parents, 30% screaming kids.

Very rarely do GW students and their neighbors get to interact so closely. In fact, yesterday some Foxhill mother was too busy sun-bathing to hear her three year old son running poolside screaming crying. I took it upon myself to help her child get his beach ball out of their bag. All the kid wanted was the ball. He laughed and jumped back in to the perfect water with my one small action. I feel like a great GW student and citizen for volunteering five minutes of my Sunday to help the poor child.

So, stop heading to the food banks to give your services to the communtiy. Just head to the Vern. And stay hydrated.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

That's pretty cool. I will have to head up to the vern and check this our for myself. Thanks for the tip, Elizabeth!

Anonymous said...

Hey, there are a lot of things to do on the vern during the year!

Name said...

Are the shuttles running on a decent schedule this summer? Two years ago, trying to get to and from the Vern over the summer was a pain, especially at night.

Basketmaker said...

Yea, the shuttle stops running at 7pm, but before that I think it's every 15 min, I think. The vern pool is nice, I'm just wondering if it gets overcrowded sometimes??

Anonymous said...

I just took a look at the Vern Express website. It doesn't run overnight, but it looks like they're running pretty regularly - especially after this weekend, when CI starts up. After CI starts this weekend, they run every 15 minutes until 8pm (and the pool closes at 6pm).

The schedule's posted at http://gwired.gwu.edu/mvcl/Express/schedule.