Sunday, January 18, 2009

So Many Events!

I have decided that there may just be too many inaugural events. The GW Inauguration Website details all of the events going on both around campus and around the city.

In fact, for the Twentieth alone, the website lists all of these events:



Inauguration and Parade Viewing
Jack Morton Auditorium, Media and Public Affairs Building, B-03
805 21st Street, NW

Cloyd Heck Marvin Center, J Street and Hippodrome
800 21st Street, NW

The Pub, Ames Building lower level
Mount Vernon Campus
2100 Foxhall Road, NW

Members of the GW community are invited to view the swearing-in ceremony and parade. No tickets required.


2:30 p.m.


GW Float Marches in 56th Presidential Inaugural Parade

GW's float will participate in the 56th Presidential Inaugural Parade, which begins at the steps of the U.S. Capitol Building, proceeds along Pennsylvania Avenue, and ends at the White House.

Deconstructing the GW Parade Float, Washington Post Blog
GW Marches in History With 1949 Parade Float, GW Hatchet
Parade Float at D.C. Mayor’s View Stand, YouTube



At this point, the dilemma becomes which events provide me with the best opportunity to see and be a part of history. Do I go to the inauguration itself, though I don't have a ticket, or do I watch it on TV in the comfort of one of the many locations broadcasting it? And do I take the time that would save me to hurry over to the parade route to see Obama up close and personal?

Rumor has it they are capping the attendence to the parade at some low number like 300,000, but I can't seem to find any proof of that. And if so, is it worth it to try to go after the inauguration itself?

On an unrelated note, one event I know I will never regret standing in the cold to see was the "We Are One" Concert. I have never seen such a large group of people in person before, and was moved by the sheer amount of patriotism there. There were no democrats or republicans, just people enjoying some (fantastic!) music. Hopefully we'll have many more of these events in the next four years!

No comments: