Saturday, May 3, 2008

Art in Foggy Bottom

Last week, I was on a good relaxing run through Foggy Bottom when a blast of neon light blinded me. On the corner of I and 25th, there was a huge contemporary glowing sculpture on somebody's lawn.

My first thought was, "Wow, somebody must really hate their neighbors." A girl across the street, apparently as confused as I was, asked her friend, "What the hell is that?!?"

However, over the next few days,other random sculptures (thankfully none of them NEON) started popping up in front of Foggy Bottom houses. I realized that that this wasn't one vengeful neighbor; the whole neightborhood seemed to be in on something. I was curious to find out what it was.

The Foggy Bottom Association announces that:
Foggy Bottom brings sculpture to the public with its inaugural Foggy Bottom Outdoor Sculpture Exhibit opening on Saturday, May 3, 2008. This six-month exhibit will showcase 12 area sculptors whose work will be displayed in the front yards of private residences in the Foggy Bottom Historic District.
Hmm. I personally like the historic feel of Foggy Bottom, and so the contemporary art is a bit out of place, but perhaps if the community is preoccupied with the sculpture show, they'll spend a bit less time complaining about GW students (not that we dont deserve it.)

For those who appreciate contemporary sculpture a bit more than I do, there will be free guided neighborhood tours to see the sculptures through October. If youre interested, walk over to 25th and I to pick up one of the new brochures.

No comments: