Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Studying in Starbucks: What's up with that?

Something that has bugged me since I was a freshman is the amount of people who study at the loud, crowded, and often chaotic Starbucks on the first floor of the Gelman Library.

Call me old fashioned, but I just don't think that a student, or anyone for that matter, can get their best work done in an environment that is social in nature and not meant for sitting down for hours on end to do serious tasks like writing a term paper or studying for a midterm.

Starbucks is for picking up coffee to take into the library to subsequently study for an exam or write a term paper, or alternatively, a place to meet friends for a scone. I just cannot get my head around how anyone gets anything done in that place. It's a corporate caffeine and calorie factory, not the Writing Center and not a group study room.

Is there something I'm missing here? Is Starbucks the hot place on campus to pick up men? Do GW students like hanging out with the homeless men who always seem to be sleeping near the bathrooms? Is the "studying" facade just a ruse in search of something more? It must be because there is no possible way anyone could be efficient in that hellhole.

That being said, please excuse me as I finish my venti iced red eye.

1 comment:

Neha said...

Everyone studies well in different settings. Some people need absolute quiet to study, while others need some background noise (like starbucks).