Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Pro-Life Groups Join the Cliche...March Away!


Last week I was reminded of why I've spent the last two years sleeping in, instead of going to church every Sunday morning. One of my friends talked me into attending the Sunday night mass, and I semi-reluctantly agreed (at least I didn't have to get up early). Little did I know, I was in store for a political speech rather than a sermon.
After seven minutes of listening to the priest rant about how everyone should attend the March for Life, I walked out.

GW students joined 75,000 protesters in what I find to be nothing more than an attention stunt that drew the extreme end of the spectrum on the anniversary of Roe v. Wade. Protests like this one are what help the media frame abortion as such a polarizing issue, but why do we pay attention? And is it really that polarizing of an issue?


The poll above show that only 22% of American oppose abortion under all circumstances. The amount that opposed abortion under any circumstance nearly 25 years ago. Nothing has changed, lets move on. Perhaps, if these people were so concerned for the life of the child, their time would be better spent advocating for the social welfare programs needed to ensure the child's well being after birth. They usually neglect that part...

No comments: