Thursday, April 8, 2010

Attention All Frequent Flyers!

Some may know about this nifty little secret and to some it may be no secret at all - either way, I feel that it is something all students between 18-22 should know about! Far away from home? Living on a budget? Can't afford $300 every time you need to fly home or elsewhere? Or do you just have that spontaneous, fly by the seat of your pants spirit!

Ever since coming to D.C. I have been utilizing AirTran U, also commonly referred to as AirTran Universe, or AirTran University. Irregardless of what you call it, it is a great and affordable way to jet set between major cities! The only catch is that you have to fly , yes I dare say the terrifying words, STANDBY. However, don't let these words scare you, if you ever need to get somewhere fast! I have been utilizing this program for quite some time now, I have flown 8 times in the past 3 months, and have only had a problem ONCE during the week of spring break. During the hellacious week of college spring break, I advise you to proceed with caution, but during any other regular times of the year I have had NO problems!

Simply go to the nearest airport that services AirTran, with only your back pack and ONE carry on piece of luggage, (ladies, you are allowed a purse as well) and tell the young lady or gentleman behind the AirTran ticket counter that you need to get on the soonest available flight to your destination. For most destinations your ticket to your destination will only cost between $49 and $69 each way! If you get to the airport on time for the 6am flight, usually the person behind the ticket counter will be nice enough to assign you a seat number and you don't have to sit at the gate on STANDBY! You already have a confirmed ticket!

How has this worked for me? Whenever I plan to fly home, I make it a point to get to the airport (Reagan) by 5:15 am and I have ALWAYS made it onto the 6am flight! Why? Because the flight AFTER the 6am is usually the most popular. Most people do not want to take the effort to get to the airport at such an early hour. There are always seats left over on the 6 am flight out of D.C. If you're willing to put the effort into saving a few bucks - this is totally worth it. You can check it out at AirTran U!

For students who didn't know about this tid-bit of information, I hope it has helped you, because it has certainly helped me throughout college!

P.S. There's also wifi access for your computers for $5 the whole flight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Irregardless is not a word; use irrespective or regardless.