Sunday, April 4, 2010

I Have Another Problem.

At the risk of incurring senioritis's gramattically-abhorrent wrath, I'd like to discuss another thing about GW that I think should be fixed:

I have a lot of work to do today.  I have a paper to write for my Ancient Rome class.  I have another paper to edit for my political communications class.  I have two blog posts (this being one) to write for my internet and politics class.  I also have work to do for my actual job.  All of these things involve a computer.  This morning, when I woke up, I found that my computer no longer works.  I'm not entirely sure if this is Dell's or Microsoft's fault (or, heck, maybe it's mine), but my computer's not working and now I have to do my work in Gelman.

Doing my work in Gelman is fine: sure, I prefer to do my work in my room where it's quieter, and sometimes when the library is crowded you don't get a computer when you want one, but these problems are minor.  The real problem I have is that, with my computer broken, there is nothing I can do about it until tomorrow because Student Technology Services is closed on the weekends.

So I wait until tomorrow.  No big deal, right?  Ah, but there's the rub: you see, STS is only open on weekdays from 9am until 5pm.  On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, I have work from 9am until 5:30pm.  On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I have classes from 8am until 5pm.  Essentially, I have to miss work or skip class to get my computer fixed - even if I just want to drop it off in City Hall (by the way, it's sort of strange that I can't get to STS without someone who lives in City Hall swiping me into the elevator) for them to look at while I'm not there.

All this is to say that I'd really appreciate it if STS could be open on weekends.  Frankly, I think it makes more sense for them to be open on weekends, when students actually have time to deal with their computer issues, than on weekdays.  So yes, I do have a problem with an aspect of my GW experience.  As my mother would say (although probably not on Easter Sunday), "Crucify me, ya know?"

By the way, we as students of the George Washington University are perfectly allowed to voice our opinions on aspects of our school that we believe should be fixed.  There are a whole lot of things in this world that wouldn't be the way they are now if people didn't stand up and say "this needs to be changed."  So as Thomas Paine once said: "Lead, follow, or get out of the way."

No comments: