Sunday, April 11, 2010

Good Stuff Eatery: a Review


Last weekend, while I was home celebrating Easter, my friend traveled to Capitol South and ate at Good Stuff Eatery, a place I had never heard of.

Coincidentally, the Hatchet wrote an article about the same fast food restaurant on Thursday. The two incidents sparked my interest, so when my mother and sister were in town this weekend and I was figuring out our dinner plans, I decided we should check it out.

The restaurant is located on the 3rd Street and Pennsylvania Ave, S.E., a few blocks from the Capitol and close to the Capitol South metro stop. Convenient for sure, with a post-dinner tourist stroll built in.

Good Stuff Eatery is a burger joint. They serve burgers, fries, chili, salads and milkshakes. Chef Spike, Chicago Top Chef contestant, created the restaurant with his family to serve fast food done right. Their website says they serve, "handmade burgers, hand-cut fries and handspun ice cream" made from the "freshest ingredients."

The Hatchet also quotes Catherine Mendelsohn, Spike's mother and director of operations as saying:
We are very passionate about great food and the power of community and the freshness of our local ingredients.

Chef Spike can be seen handling every aspect of the family-business--in the kitchen, putting up signs, etc.

My meal was delicious. I ordered a chili & cheddar cheese burger. To be fair, I am not the biggest burger person, having never had one before the age of 16. But, if my critique doesn't seem trustworthy, my mother, the pickiest of burger-eaters, left very happy and noteably full.

With four people who ordered: a beer, two shakes, fries, fried onions, a cup of chili and three burgers, the meal cost us only about $50, being an affordable alternative for GW students who are looking to get off campus and eat something other than Potbelly's for once.

The owners have recently purchased the space next door to Good Stuff Eatery and are turning it into a pizza place, called "We the Pizza."

The Hatchet also reports that the restaurant is looking into expanding into other areas of D.C. Here's to hoping they make it to Foggy Bottom. Check out their menu above and enjoy!

No comments: