Sunday, April 18, 2010

It's that time of year again...

The end of spring semester.

I, for one, can taste Summer in the air, but with only final-assingnments left to check off the syllabus, it's normal to find it hard to motivate yourself.

I will admit even I had a bit too much fun this weekend, getting carried away with the warm weather, DC United's College Night, and other adventures. And now, it's Sunday afternoon and I have a pile of homework to accomplish.

What to do? How can we find motivation for school work when we're more concerned with getting in out last DC-fun before summers at home?

Lucky for you (and me), I've compiled a list of the four most important things to remember when confronting finals:
  1. Don't wait until the last minute to start an assignment. Feeling overwhelmed by an assignment is miserable. Tackle them in little pieces and it won't seem so unmanageable.
  2. Vary your study-spaces. Getting bored of your surroundings can make you lose your focus because of the familiarity. Try a new coffee shop, like Peregrine Espresso in Eastern Market, or even just a new floor in Gelman.
  3. Find a study buddy! Spending a sleepless night in the library doesn't seem so terrible when you know a friend is going through it too. Just make sure you actually get work done, and don't just gossip all night!
  4. Make a new playlist. Similar to my theory on study spaces, listening to songs you know all the words to while studying can be a distraction. Try these music blogs for some new music recommendations-- It's a Rap, Living Ears, PoptartsSuckToasted, Pretty Much Amazing-- or else use websites like Pandora or Fratmusic to vary it up.

Below is Sam Adam's, "I Hate College," a response to Asher Roth's hit, I Love College. I feel that its pretty fitting.

No comments: