Friday, February 8, 2008

How Do I Get Ann Coulter Tickets? No One at Marvin Center Knows. [UPDATED]

For all the hullabaloo surrounding Ann Coulter's visit to GW (also here and here), not too a many students made it out to get tickets at 5pm on Friday. In fact, no one did. And no one around the Marvin Center lobby even knew where to get them -- not the concierge, not the Ticketmaster, and not four random people passing through.

The full-page ad in the back of The Hatchet claimed that "Tickets available Feb. 8, 5-7PM in the Marvin Center lobby" from The GW Young America's Foundation. For a student org. that doesn't even have a website, $1,300 dollars seems like a lot of money for a wrong ad. Interesting, a flyer posted in the Marvin Center's elevator doesn't mention tickets being handed out, just an email address for further info.

And, yeah, I'll admit it, I kinda wanted to go see her. And while I don't condone it, when was the last time you got close enough to a much-hated conservative pundit to hurl rotten vegetables at her? Unfortunately for me (and I'm sure several other produce-wielding students), I couldn't get tickets.

I sent an e-mail to address YAF listed in the advertisement, which has not been responded to as of this post. If anything changes, I'll be sure to update.

In the mean time, I can only muse of some possible questions that should be answered on Saturday night - like her mysterious endorsement of Hillary Clinton.


Does Coulter mean it? Does she really support Clinton's policies? Was she just trying to spin the discussion against McCain? Or is she just voting va-jay-jay? These questions will surely be answered on Saturday night (and perhaps responded to with veggies).

While, I certainly don't endorse flinging a barrage of tomatoes, lettuce, and celery at Coulter, if you're one of the lucky ones to not only get tickets, but front row ones at that, just get ready to duck.

[UPDATED]
So I stand corrected. At about 5:30, the guy finally came. As you can see, everything was very nondescript - no signs, banners, or any sort of advertisements that Ann Coulter tickets could be found here.

I had to ask the guy on the laptop if he was giving out tickets. He affirmed and wanted my GWorld and e-mail address, in case the plans change (like mass protesting forces them to cancel the event or something).

As you can see, the Anti-Anns weren't exactly there protesting. Nor did anyone seem that interested. I was the first person to get my ticket (score!). Maybe the battleground will be at the actual event.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Apparently, the member of YAF and other orgs had already given most if not all of the tickets away by the time they were supposed to be handed out at the marvin center on friday. The only people I know that got to go got their tickets through friends connected to those orgs. the crowd was huge at the event... there was even a 'standby' line for those without tickets.