Friday, April 4, 2008

Networking, Networking, Networking

These days, my favorite people to talk to are GW alumni - any and all of them. Why?
Well, I'm a graduating senior who is still trying to figure out what to do in May. While most people give me useless suggestions like "Go to law school" or "Starbucks offers its employees great benefits," GW alumni have been giving me contact information for people in my field, critiquing my resume, and telling my not to worry. They are the ones who have managed to navigate the maze that is USA Jobs and have suggestions about how to beat the computer. They understand the frustrations of the security clearance process. Best of all, GW alumni are all around DC.

I've complained many times that GW doesn't have a sense of community, and I still think it's a valid complaint. Even the active alumni will agree that the alumni network is much weaker than it should be. However, I was pleasantly surprised by how willing alumni were to share their experiences and wisdom with me and other students, even if the bonding took place over criticizing GW.

Maybe there is some school spirit after all.

If anyone wants to make alumni connections, I strongly recommend participating in the alumni hosted dinners. It's a great starting point. You can also stay in touch with friends and acquaintances who have graduated before you, since they have all most likely managed to figure out the real world.

And start with all of this earlier then second term of your senior year, trust me.

No comments: